background

Halloween

Halloween

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strasburg, France




Today we travelled to Strasburg, France. Weather wasn't the best but it cleared up enough for us to sightsee while we were in town. We went and saw a Cathedral that was originally constructed in 1041 and completed in 1074. It was incredible. Pretty much looked like something out of Lord of the Rings.

Parking garages in France are well, French. Anything that is French, is well...we all have our opinions about the French. Anyway, Randy's volvo, which isn't a large car (more of a sports sedan) could barely fit in the garage. I mean BARELY. Sucker was so small it was all I could do to find a spot. At least in NYC when you have to park in a parking garage often times someone will do it for you. (albeit for quadruple the price).

I learned a few things on the way to Strasburg about the Autobahn...I'd like to share them:

1. I love driving on it. (Yes I got to drive) People here just know how to drive properly. If you drive slow, you stay to the right. If you drive fast you stay to the right. If you want to pass...move to the left lane and pass, then get back in the right lane. If you drive any other way you're either American or just a terrible driver.

2. I love driving fast on it. Driving high performance cars is fun. 110mph was nothing. I felt like I was driving slow or trying to keep up. We got passed by a Porche who was moving close to 130 mph. Just ensure that you check your brakes before heading out...you need them.

3. There is a speed limit. Well, sometimes. Most of the time there isn't, but portions do limit your speed to 80-90 mph. You will get caught speeding if there's a limit. They hide cameras and you don't know you've been caught until you see a giant flash. You get a picture in the mail two weeks later with your fine.

4. Driving at 100 mph on the Autobahn when its POURING rain is scary. There is no way around it. Either you're hydroplaning or beginning to do so at that speed or it seems as if someone else is.

Back to Strasburg, we visited a section called La Petite France. I realize the name conjures up images of a Romantic village found in Strasburg filled with cute little houses and sidewalk cafes serving crepes and coffee. That is until I read in the guide manual that La Petite France was an infirmiry during the 15th century for those infected with Syphillis. Awesome. There goes the romantic images of La Petite France right out the window. Just what I wanted to know before I bit into my crepe.

We ate Tarte Flambee at some restaurant near the Cathedral. It was tasty. Not much else to say about that.

It poured rain. Then stopped. Then poured. Then stopped. Weird. The drive home through France and back into Germany was gorgeous. Picturesque villages everywhere...some small, some larger. All amazing.

Well, Siggi is preparing Brats for dinner which means I am done updating for today. Tomorrow we're travelling to Nurenburg, Germany.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your trip is off to a great start. I agree 100% with the driving etiquette. You'll love Nueremberg.

    ReplyDelete