So today we travelled three hours to Nuremburg. Waking up at 4:30 isn't fun but it was well worth it for this trip. I must also take a moment to digress...McDonald's did not take our credit card. Awesome.
Anyway, onward to Nuremburg. Our first stop at the city was well, interesting. Apparently Metallica and about 10-20 other heavy metal and death metal bands were wrapping up a three day concert at the Zepplenfield (near the Nazi Party Rally Grounds) where we were headed. There were thousands of university students covered in filth all shaking off their hangovers. Trash everywhere. Not a good first impression. Then we enetered the Document Center (short for the really long German name). I was most excited about this stop, but also the most disappointed. We quickly learned that 90% of the exhibit was closed because it was a MONDAY! What the heck?! A Monday? Mondays are weekdays. I could understand a Friday, but a Monday! So we paid for the audio tour and got to breeze through the exhibit. We did get to see where Hitler gave many of his famous speeches but the area was largely covered in debris from the hard metal fans. Disappointing exhibit.
However, the city of Nuremburg was a blast. Once parked we took our own walking tour exploring the city and its markets. We walked up to the castle overlooking the city which was amazing in and of itself. (we did not tour this castle though) After the castle tour we walked down to the dungeon located beneath the old courthouse. Talk about facinating....that was well worth the 5 euro tour even though it was all in German. I'll elaborate more for those who are interested when I get back...but all I can say it it was freakin cool.
Once done there we visited several cathedrals and walked the pedestrian district viewing the shops and markets. Neat city. Not as cool as Heidleburg but cool.
I got a nutcracker. Yes, he is a fly fisherman. Probably the coolest thing I own.
After my nutcracker acquisition, we headed back to the car and off to the Nuremburg courthouse where all the Nazi war criminals were tried (most of whom were convicted). And....another let down...the courthouse is closed and under renovations until 2010 when it will reopen as an entirely new exhibit. I still was able to snap a few pictures of the outside of the building.
I did get to drive home on the Autobahn again today. It's amazing. You look in your mirror one second and no one is in sight. The next minute, you have an Audi or a Porche on your bumper travelling at 130-140 mph. Intense.
Josh - I looked for Black Forest Devil again today...nothing. We weren't close to the Black Forest though. My mission is to find it. Great pictures of Penny btw, tell Emily hi!
Bonnie - What do you want from Germany/Switzerland. I have something in mind...but its is neither useful or practical. It is authentic, pretty neat, and udderwise a great idea. Yes, that is a clue.
Alright, back to consuming a new type of German beer. Das Echte is today's selection. It is in my top 3 at this point.
Hope everyone back home is doing well.
Tomorrow is probably going to be visiting wineries in the Mosul Valley...if we get that motivated.
rachel's room
10 years ago
i love that you are keeping all of us updated, sounds like you guys are having a good time. congrats on the nutcracker russ & keep drinking. emily
ReplyDeleteruss, no more snide comments about my nutcracker collection...i only ever found blackforest devil in baden wurtemburg.
ReplyDeletelol, I was just kidding when I said "bring me something cool!" I'm happy with anything :-) I can't wait to see pictures!!
ReplyDelete